I am an author and I live and work in Bath with my husband, two children and three chickens. I was born in Cornwall where I lived for twenty two years until I started my career in higher education where I have worked at the University of Cambridge, Oxford Brookes University, Bath Spa University and now I am a Postgraduate Research Administrator at the University of Bath.
When I was young, I thought everyone thought up stories like I did all the time. It wasn’t until I was older that I realised that not everyone took mental notes of conversations, obsessively observed mannerisms and continually wrote down snippets of conversation “to use one day”. I always have a story buzzing around in my head and have attended writing courses and tutorials to learn the craft of creative writing.
Tracy Chevalier (one of my favourite authors) has used ‘answers to unasked questions’ to give us a feel for how she ticks and I couldn’t help copying but I’ve done 25 (I don’t have a thing for prime numbers☺).
- When I was in school my friends played Happy Days, I was never cool enough to be the Fonz and had to be Ralph – it scarred me for ever.
- I love natural yoghurt and crave it when I haven’t had it for a few days.
- Chocolate – enough said!
- I like making bunches of red sycamore leaves in October.
- I can’t leave the house without checking that the kettle is in the right place on the Raeburn (equidistant between hot plate and spice rack).
- Hugs with my girls are better than vitamins.
- I am a convert to hens; they are not stupid and they give you eggs.
- I still don’t understand why I had to do algebra.
- Berlin is the most exciting city in the world.
- My husband has the patience of a saint, I hate DIY (luckily he doesn’t).
- Cornwall is a beautiful place to be from; Helston is even better.
- I continually wriggle my toes, so best not snuggle up next to me on the settee.
- I like to make people laugh; but I like to listen to them more.
- I like cheesy rom coms; it’s the best way to give my brain a rest from plot lines and story ideas.
- When I get writers block I go and talk to the hens.
- I have lived half my life in Cornwall, a quarter of it now in Bath and the rest of the time in Cambridge, Letchworth, Eynsham and Witney.
- When I read a book, my daughter likes to note which page number I’m on; it’s great for my ego to receive her admiration at the speed I read.
- I hate over heated crowded shops, holiday makers that stop in the middle of the pavement and edible glitter lids.
- I love going to the cinema and the anticipation of the start of the film although I miss Pearl and Dean’s advertising music.
- The most romantic place on earth is Gunwalloe when the sun is setting and full moon is rising and there is nothing to hear but the sea on the rocks below.
- I’ve never wanted a fancy car or sought branded clothes, but give me nice stationery and I’ll be your friend for ever.
- I have a policy that nobody cries without me too.
- My favourite colour is purple – unless it’s on walls.
- The blessing that my friends with special educational needs have given me over the years has taught me more about life than anything else.
- The world of storytelling is a privilege. I can make anything happen, when I like and how I like but I wish I knew how Jane Austen managed without a computer?